Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this from the Anne of Green Gables cookbook.
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg whites, room temperature (about 10 eggs)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, finely grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Sift the flour, icing sugar and salt together four times.
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl.
- Add the vanilla, orange extract and peel.
- Beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add the cream of tartar and keep beating until firm but still glossy.
- Add the granulated. sugar 2 Tbsp. at a time to the egg whites.
- Continue beating until the cling to the sides of the bowl and are stiff but not dry.
- Fold in flour mixture a little at a time. Do not stir! Spoon batter into ungreased tube pan.
- cut through batter to release any air bubbles and gently smooth top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes or top springs back when gently touched.
- Cool upside down.
- Top with Orange Glaze. Orange Glaze 1 1/4 cup icing sugar 1/2 cup orange juice 1 tsp.
- vanilla grated peel of one orange Mix all ingredients together with a wooden spoon and spread on top of cake, allowing some to dribble down the sides.
- A family oriented website http://home.sprynet.com/~jmjohnsn Seasonal Page Topic - Ice Cream New Appetizer Recipes Page
Wow! This cake was so good! I must admit that I tried it mainly because I LOVE anything to do with Anne of Green Gables and/or P.E.I.! Since I used it for an Easter cake, I didn't make the glaze, but instead made a fluffy frosting with instant sugar-free vanilla pudding and lite cool whip. I then added some grated orange peel to the frosting and decorated it with mandarine orange slices. It was beautiful and so delicious! I think next time I may add a little orange color to the batter or frosting or both! Thanks Marg for this great cake.
Very tasty. The glaze per recipe was the consistancy of milk, so I added more powdered sugar until it was more like an icing. There was a lot more of it, but my family loved it this way.
This cake is fantastic! It's fun to make, the glaze is so sweet and sticky and the consistency of the cake is phenominal. I put it out an hour ago and there are 4 people in my house and only i piece left!