Recipe by txzuckerbaeckerin
A light and tangy cake from Sicily. Serve it with heaps of whipped cream and a strong coffee.
- 4 eggs, seperated
- 2⁄3 cup superfine sugar
- 2 oranges, zest of
- 2 oranges, juice of
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 cup almonds, ground (without the skin!)
- 1⁄4 cup self rising flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and line the bottom of a deep 7-inch (18 cm) round pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 F/ 180°C.
- Whisk the egg yolks with with the sugar and lemon zest, until very thick and light in color.
- Mix the orange and lemon juice and add with the ground almonds to the egg mix (it will be very runny at this point).
- Fold in the flour.
- Whisk the whites stiff and fold into the batter.
- Fill batter into the pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and springy to the touch.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and let cool on rack.
- The cake might sink a bit at this point, this is normal.
- Whip the cream with the orange zest, the 2 tsp sugar and cinnamon.
- Once the cake is cold, cover with the freshly toasted almond slices and dust with confectioners' sugar.