Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another terrific grilled sandwich from Food and Wine! Simple fresh flavors are the key here
- 8 slices peasant bread
- extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 1 1⁄4 lbs eggplants, sliced crosswise 1 inch thick
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1⁄2 lb buffalo mozzarella, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 8 large basil leaves, torn
- coarse sea salt
- Light a grill. Brush the bread on both sides with olive oil and grill over high heat until crisp on the outside but still soft inside, about 30 seconds per side. Transfer to a platter.
- Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Grill over moderate heat until charred on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Turn and grill until tender, about 3 minutes longer.
- Top the eggplant with the tomato, mozzarella and basil. Cover the grill and cook until the cheese melts, 2 minutes. Transfer the eggplant to the bread, sprinkle with sea salt and serve.
Very much enjoyed! I did spread just a little mayo over the toast. Thanks! Made for ZWT#6 by a Looney Spoon Phoodie!
This was a filling and very delicious dinner. Made as directed with the exception of the added tomato sauce and a sprinkle of Parm that was left from another use and seemed a perfect addition here. The eggplant cooks up to a soft and creamy texture while maintaining it's shape and it lifts onto the bread easily. I didn't have Roma tomatoes so used the regular round ones. The basil and all the melter cheese is just wonderful.