11 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Start with vitamin-rich carrots and pumpkin, naturally sweet honey, protein-packed peanuts, and a handy pocket of bread. Heat and stir to create an oh-so-not-healthy chewy candy treat. ("Prep time" includes cooling overnight.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a covered boiler, cook carrots in water until soft. Remove from heat and mash.
- 2Stir in pumpkin, honey, and cream of tartar.
- 3Cook uncovered over low to medium heat to soft ball (235F or 115C). Stir.
- 4occasionally early in the cooking, but as the candy thickens, watch closely to avoid burning on the bottom. Depending on how much moisture is in your vegetables, this may take a couple of hours. Be patient - stick with a gentle boil, to keep from burning the sugar, and resist the temptation to stop early.
- 5Meanwhile, prepare the pita pockets by spreading a layer of peanut butter inside, on both sides. At a minimum, smoothly cover the bread surface. If you like peanut butter, a thicker layer is fine.
- 6When the candy reaches soft ball, remove from heat. Add peanuts and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and slightly glossy.
- 7Spread the pumpkin candy inside each pita. It may be easier to do this by mashing the pita from the outside, rather than spreading with a knife.
- 8Refrigerate overnight.
- 9With a sharp knife, cut each half circle into four ooey, gooey, chewy wedges.
- 10(Notes on ingredients: You can substitute fresh or frozen pumpkin puree for the canned pumpkin. You can also use other winter squash, but the sweetness and the color may be less intense. Any style of peanut butter will work, but a natural (not whipped or oil-added) type will result in more consistent layers in the finished dessert. Whole or refined wheat pitas are fine.).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ooey, Gooey, Peanut Butter and Chewy
Serving Size: 1 (2332 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 232.8
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 139.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 25.3 g
- Protein 5.9 g