Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 12 medium onions, thin sliced
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart beef stock (4 cubes of beef bouillon)
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- Sauti onions in marg until soft. Add salt and cook 8 minutes.
- Stir in flour, cook for 3 minutes longer.
- Combine onions, stock and wine in cooker.
- Cook over low heat for 6 to 8 hours.
I add a bay leaf and use only beef stock vice bouillon cubes. The cubes introduce too much salt (you already have 2 teaspoons). At the end, just before serving, I add 1 tablespoon of sherry or madeira wine. Also, an additional variation is to cut down the cooking time, on simmer, to 1 1/2 hours.