1/2 Photos of Onion Rolls
2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
This recipe for New York style Onion Rolls was posted in reply to a "recipe request" posting. BTW: They are very yummy!!....especially when they are still a bit warm and well buttered :) (Prep times include rising times)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup warm milk (105-115 F)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1/2 cups water (105-115 F)
- 1 (1 ounce) package active dry yeast (1 Tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons instant minced onion
- 5 -6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten with
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1Combine warm milk, sugar, salt and butter.
- 2In a large warm bowl, pour in warm water, sprinkle yeast over the water and stir until dissolved.
- 3Add milk mixture, onion and 3 cups flour to the yeast mixture.
- 4Beat until smooth.
- 5Add enough additional flour to make a stiff dough.
- 6Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board.
- 7Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8-10 minutes).
- 8Place dough in a greased bowl, turning dough to grease the top.
- 9Cover dough and let rise in a warm place (free from drafts) until doubled in bulk (about 1 hour).
- 10Punch dough down and divide into 14 equal pieces.
- 11Shape pieces of dough into round balls.
- 12Place dough balls (about 3 inches apart) on greased baking sheets that have been sprinkled with cornmeal.
- 13Cover and let rise again in draft free, warm place until doubled in bulk (about 1 hour).
- 14Cut a small"X" into the tops of the rolls with a sharp knife or razor.
- 15Bake rolls in a preheated 400°F oven for 20 minutes.
- 16Brush rolls with the egg white/cold water wash.
- 17Bake rolls 5 minutes longer, or until done.
- 18Remove from baking sheets and cool on wire racks.
- 19***Asan option, you can sprinkle the roll tops with a bit of additional minced onion after they are brushed with the egg white wash.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (1269 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 206.5
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 7.7 mg
- Sodium 360.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 6.0 g