Recipe by Dee514
This recipe for New York style Onion Rolls was posted in reply to a "recipe request" posting. BTW: They are very yummy!!....especially when they are still a bit warm and well buttered :) (Prep times include rising times)
Top Review by amilatie
Very good and easy to make. I made one change. I didn't have any instant onions so I just finely chopped half of a small onion and used that. I also sprinkled garlic powder on top instead of onion. They are crusty on the outside and chewy on the inside. Absolutely delicious.
- 1⁄2 cup warm milk (105-115 F)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (105-115 F)
- 1 (1 ounce) package active dry yeast (1 Tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons instant minced onion
- 5 -6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten with
- 1 tablespoon cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine warm milk, sugar, salt and butter.
- In a large warm bowl, pour in warm water, sprinkle yeast over the water and stir until dissolved.
- Add milk mixture, onion and 3 cups flour to the yeast mixture.
- Beat until smooth.
- Add enough additional flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board.
- Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8-10 minutes).
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turning dough to grease the top.
- Cover dough and let rise in a warm place (free from drafts) until doubled in bulk (about 1 hour).
- Punch dough down and divide into 14 equal pieces.
- Shape pieces of dough into round balls.
- Place dough balls (about 3 inches apart) on greased baking sheets that have been sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Cover and let rise again in draft free, warm place until doubled in bulk (about 1 hour).
- Cut a small"X" into the tops of the rolls with a sharp knife or razor.
- Bake rolls in a preheated 400°F oven for 20 minutes.
- Brush rolls with the egg white/cold water wash.
- Bake rolls 5 minutes longer, or until done.
- Remove from baking sheets and cool on wire racks.
- ***Asan option, you can sprinkle the roll tops with a bit of additional minced onion after they are brushed with the egg white wash.