Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Cooking Light Magazine, 11/07 edition. Sweet caramelized onions and salt Parmesan cheese flavor these bite-sized appetizers. They can be made the day before; cover and refrigerate in the baking dish. Before guests arrive - reheat at 200ºF for 15-20 minutes. Can be served at room temperature; garnished with sour cream and chives.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- cooking spray
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄4 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 48 pieces fresh chives (1 inch)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion to pan; cook 15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Spread mixture in a single layer in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine egg substitute, 2 tablespoons cheese, salt, pepper, and eggs.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over onion; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until set.
- Cool slightly; cut into 24 pieces.
- Top each with 1/2 teaspoon sour cream and 2 chive pieces.