Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
An easy "to go" bread - bake it before you leave town or mix dry ingredients, saute onions and mushrooms and grate the cheese in advance, then bake the loaf on-site. Found this on an Italian Cooking Site on the net.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar or 3 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute or 3 tablespoons other sugar substitute
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup freshly grated Fontina cheese
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer, such as amber ale
- cooking spray
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine, melted & divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and mushrooms, and saute about 6 minutes until tender and all moisture has evaporated.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
- Add onion, mushrooms, cheese and beer; stir just until moist.
- Spoon batter into a 9x5" loaf pan coated with cooking spray; drizzle with 2 tablespoons butter or margarine.
- Bake for 35 minutes; brush with remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Bake an additional 23 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan on a wire rack.
- Then remove from pan.
- Cool completely on wire rack.