Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From this week's Weekend magazine, Foodcourt column on Masalas and Gravies!
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 inch ginger, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons yoghurt
To be made into a paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 3 -4 dry kashmiri chilies
- 7 black peppercorns
- 3⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 cloves
- Dry roast the cumin, corriander, red chillies, cloves, peppercorns and turmeric on a frying pan/ a flat bottomed tava.
- Grind with a little water to make a paste.
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan.
- Fry onions and garlic until golden in colour.
- Add ground spices and ginger.
- Fry until the oil begins to separate.
- Add tomato paste, yoghurt and salt.
- Keep frying, stirring continuously.
- After a few minutes, add enough warm water to make a gravy.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Add your choice of vegetables/meat now and cook until the veggies/meat is tender and ready to eat.