Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I tried this over the weekend. It's from Feb. 06 Bon Appetit. It'd make a great cornbread for beans, cheese soup, stew, chili, anything hearty, even beef or pork roast. Delish warm or not.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup pitted kalamata olive, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place 9 to 10" cast-iron skillet (do not use nonstick) on center rack in oven. Heat for 30 minutes.
- Whisk first 5 ingredients in large bowl. Whisk egg and next 3 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Whisk 1/4 cup oil, then milk into egg mixture. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients; stir batter just to blend. Stir in cheese and olives.
- Remove skillet from oven. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet; swirl to coat bottom abd sides. Spoon batter into hot skillet. Place skillet in oven; reduce temperature to 400 degrees.
- Bake bread until golden and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 22 minutes. Cool 5 minutes, then invert bread onto rack. Turn bread over. Serve warm or at room temperature.