1 hr 7 mins
I tried this over the weekend. It's from Feb. 06 Bon Appetit. It'd make a great cornbread for beans, cheese soup, stew, chili, anything hearty, even beef or pork roast. Delish warm or not.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olive, coarsely chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place 9 to 10" cast-iron skillet (do not use nonstick) on center rack in oven. Heat for 30 minutes.
- 2Whisk first 5 ingredients in large bowl. Whisk egg and next 3 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Whisk 1/4 cup oil, then milk into egg mixture. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients; stir batter just to blend. Stir in cheese and olives.
- 3Remove skillet from oven. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet; swirl to coat bottom abd sides. Spoon batter into hot skillet. Place skillet in oven; reduce temperature to 400 degrees.
- 4Bake bread until golden and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 22 minutes. Cool 5 minutes, then invert bread onto rack. Turn bread over. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Olive and Parmesan Skillet Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (106 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 300.1
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 40.4 mg
- Sodium 591.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 9.9 g