Recipe by ellie_
Molasses type spice drop cookies, originally printed in Bon Appetit (December 1983)are quick and easy to make for after school treats or lunch boxes.
Top Review by Shepardess
Yup! This is the recipe that "I" grew up with! I remember having to melt the Crisco over the old white stove. We would drop the cookie dough into our hands and roll it around until it was in the form of a ball and then coating it with sugar. The cookies came out uniform in size and had nice cracks all over the tops of them. Yes, I recognize this recipe. I e-mailed it to my son, who adores these cookies. He said "Thanks Mom! :)" My mother messed up once and added double of some ingredient [which she had originally doubled before anyway] So we had dozens and dozens of these cookies. We were told to eat as many as we wanted! Boy - was that SOME WEEK! Shepardess
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 177.44 ml Crisco or 177.44 ml shortening
- 59.14 ml molasses
- 1 egg
- 473.18 ml flour
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 3.69 ml ground ginger
- 3.69 ml ground cloves
- 1.23 ml salt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees F.
- Lightly grease baking sheets.
- Combine sugar, Crisco, molasses and egg in large bowl and mix until smooth.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Drop by teaspoons onto baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake until lightly browned (10 minutes).