Recipe by Galley Wench
A delicious taste of Old Mexico. Serve on a bed of rice and you've got dinner! Original recipes was an entry in RZ CrazeE recipe contest, however I have since modified the recipe to fit our taste.
Top Review by cacameron127
Second time I've made this and I absolutely love it! Too much sauce for the chops though. But I'm working on a way to use the leftover sauce with something else. Both times I've used Guinness Draught for the dark beer. Very complex flavors but very easy recipe. This time I forgot to make in advance, so I cooked on High in crockpot for 4 hours. Next time I might try cooking in a very large skillet for a quicker dinner
- 4 ounces sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1 inch pieces
- 6 -8 thick pork loin chops
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 large onion, thick sliced
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup sweet corn, fresh
- 1 large poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cumin (adjust to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried ancho chile powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 chipotle pepper, seeded and chopped (canned in adobo sauce, adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer, lager (I used dark lager) or 1 (12 ounce) bottle chicken broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 -2 tablespoon cornmeal (or masa harina)
- 1 lime
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, mix together crushed tomatoes, chipotle pepper, cumin, chili powders, cocoa, oregano, beans and poblano peppers. Pour in beer and stir.
- In small skillet fry bacon until crisp: remove bacon to paper towel to drain, set aside.
- Saute chopped onions and garlic in one tablespoon of bacon fat for about three minutes, add to tomato mixture.
- Season pork chops with salt and pepper.
- Place sliced onions on bottom of crock pot; place pork chops on top of onions; this will prevent the chops from sticking.
- Add tomato mixture to crock pot.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours (time may vary).
- Stirring is not necessary; removing the lid results in heat loss and may require extended cooking time.
- Stir in corn approximately 1 hour before serving.
- If the sauce is to thin, mix corn meal or masa harina with a little water and stir a little into the sauce until you've achieved desired thickness.
- Just before serving squeeze lime juice into pot and stir.
- To serve place pork chops on a bed of rice, spoon sauce on top and garnish with bacon bits and cilantro.