Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
More candy than cake really! When I was young, and way before that, this was seen pretty frequently around Bermuda in small shops. Nowadays, you may see it at a charity bake sale or the occasional corner shop run by Bermudians that still keep in touch with the good ol' days!
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat together the sugars and the water until sugar has dissolved and thickened.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Cook slowly, stirring for about 20 minutes, or until quite thick.
- Add food coloring if using, before it gets too thick to stir properly.
- Test for doneness by dropping a rounded tablespoon's worth on a damp cutting board.
- If it hardens as it cools, it's done.
- Most people just plop rounded tablespoons of this mixture onto a damp cutting board and let it spread and cool. They're usually about 3 or so inches wide. So, experiment until you get the size you desire.
- Store them in a glass jar or you can wrap them individually in waxed paper.
- Beware! This is very sweet!