Recipe by Annacia
Homey and old-fashioned, this comforting dish can be on the table in a flash, thanks to store-bought rotisserie chicken and biscuits made with self-rising flour. This is a modernized version of the recipe that was home cookin' to my Texas family.
Top Review by Bayhill
Delicious! This is comfort food at its best. Quick and easy to make, this was a big hit at my house. I doubled the gravy ingredients to give us lots of sauce, and because we like our sauce a little on the thicker side, I added more flour to get the consistency that we like. The dough for the biscuits was very sticky and a little hard to work with, but stick with it and it will come together. After removing the biscuits from the oven, I brushed the tops with butter to soften and add extra flavor. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper! **Made for Culinary Quest -Suitcase Gourmets**
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 3⁄8 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup whole milk
- all-purpose flour, for dusting
For Chicken In Gravy
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (14 fl oz)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken (from a 3- to 3 1/2-lb rotisserie chicken)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Make Biscuits:.
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450°F.
- Blend together flour and butter in a bowl with a pastry blender or your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal with some small (roughly pea-size) butter lumps. Stir in milk with a fork just until a sticky dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and gently knead 7 or 8 times, (Do not overwork, or biscuits will be tough).
- Pat dough into a 9- by 6-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface, then cut into 6 (3-inch) squares.
- Arrange squares 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Cool to warm on baking sheet on a rack.
- Make Chicken In Gravy While Biscuits Bake:.
- Cook onion, carrot, celery, salt, and pepper in butter in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and thyme and bring to a boil, stirring, then boil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes.
- Add half-and-half and chicken to gravy and gently simmer until chicken is heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- To Serve:.
- Halve biscuits and put each bottom half in a shallow bowl.
- Spoon chicken in gravy over biscuit bottoms and cover with biscuit tops.