Chef #247362's Note:
I needed a simple chocolate cake recipe for a Wilton cake class and came across an older recipe which I adapted to suit my need for a not too dense, moist, high chocolate cake. The cake was dense enough to handle a buttercream frosting and decorations learned in class that day without being too heavy. All at home agreed it was the best chocolate cake I had ever made. I made a batch of Wilton Chocolate Buttercream frosting to fill and frost the two layers and there was just enough to go around. I always say simple tastes best.
My Private Note
round c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Prepare two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans by greasing thoroughly.
- 3Cream the sugar and butter or margarine thoroughly.
- 4Beat the eggs well then add to batter and mix together.
- 5Sift the flour before measuring, then sift again with baking soda and baking powder.
- 6Add to the butter mixture alternating with sour milk.
- 7Do not overbeat.
- 8Dissolve the cocoa in the hot water then add to batter and stir just until well combined.
- 9Pour batter into prepared cake pans.
- 10Bake in oven for aproximately 25 minutes. Check for doneness after 22 minutes.
- 11Remove pans from oven and set on cake rake to cool for ten minutes.
- 12Turn cakes out of pan and continue cooling on rack until completely cool. Fill and frost as per your favourite recipe.
- 13This can also be baked in a bundt pan for approximately 45 minutes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old School Dark Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (196 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 557.1
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 115.2 mg
- Sodium 428.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 52.3 g
- Protein 9.2 g