Prep 2 mins
Cook 0 mins
Entered for safe-keeping, from Nick Caruana on Serious Eats. More at: http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2014/01/classic-cocktail-old-hickory-andrew-jackson-history-vermouth-drink.html. Don't use old bottles of vermouth because this drink is all about the vermouth. This is an easy sipper, mellow. Peychaud's bitters adds a bit of anise and spice -- nice -- but the orange bitters and the lemon twist are essential.
- 1 1⁄2 ounces dry vermouth
- 1 1⁄2 ounces sweet vermouth
- 2 dashes peychaud's bitters
- 1 dash orange bitters
- 1 lemon twist, for garnish (NOT optional)
- Add the 1st 4 ingredients to a mixing glass.
- Fill 2/3 full with ice and stir until well chilled, about 20 seconds.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with lemon twist and serve.