Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Delicious basic sugar cookie recipe that includes sour cream. The dough is very easy to work with and I use a royal icing on them at Christmas that makes them stackable. I prefer them the day after they're baked - the flavors seem to blend overnight into deliciousness.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well.
- Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream, mixing well after each addition until smooth.
- Blend in vanilla.
- Wrap in waxed paper and chill overnight or until firm to roll.
- Roll on floured board to about 1/4-inch thickness.
- Cut with cookie cutters; place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with sugar if desired.
- Bake at 375°F for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.