1/7 Photos of Old Fashioned Southern Cornbread
This is a great recipe from River Road Recipes (published by the Junior League of Baton Rouge). Perfect served with gumbo or red beans & rice, or any Southern meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grease an 8-inch round or square baking pan (or, for more authenticity, a cast iron skillet). Preheat oven to 425. Place pan in oven to preheat.
- 2Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, and sugar in mixing bowl. Add corn oil and use a cutting motion with spoon so that oil will be well blended with other ingredients. Add the boiling water and mix well.
- 3Add cold milk and stir. Let stand for a few minutes until batter has cooled to room temperature.
- 4Mix in egg and then baking powder; beat briskly.
- 5Remove preheated pan from oven and pour in batter. Bake until lightly browned (approx. 20 minutes).
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Southern Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (63 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 119.7
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 25.3 mg
- Sodium 381.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 3.3 g