Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great recipe from River Road Recipes (published by the Junior League of Baton Rouge). Perfect served with gumbo or red beans & rice, or any Southern meal.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 3 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- Grease an 8-inch round or square baking pan (or, for more authenticity, a cast iron skillet). Preheat oven to 425. Place pan in oven to preheat.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, and sugar in mixing bowl. Add corn oil and use a cutting motion with spoon so that oil will be well blended with other ingredients. Add the boiling water and mix well.
- Add cold milk and stir. Let stand for a few minutes until batter has cooled to room temperature.
- Mix in egg and then baking powder; beat briskly.
- Remove preheated pan from oven and pour in batter. Bake until lightly browned (approx. 20 minutes).
Great cornbread to have with chili! Not too sweet, just like we like it!
This is delicious! Made exactly as stated and it turned out wonderful. I will make again!
This is very good cornbread. A perfect accompaniment for chili or soup. Made for Everyday is a Holiday Tag.