Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great recipe from River Road Recipes (published by the Junior League of Baton Rouge). Perfect served with gumbo or red beans & rice, or any Southern meal.
- Grease an 8-inch round or square baking pan (or, for more authenticity, a cast iron skillet). Preheat oven to 425. Place pan in oven to preheat.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, and sugar in mixing bowl. Add corn oil and use a cutting motion with spoon so that oil will be well blended with other ingredients. Add the boiling water and mix well.
- Add cold milk and stir. Let stand for a few minutes until batter has cooled to room temperature.
- Mix in egg and then baking powder; beat briskly.
- Remove preheated pan from oven and pour in batter. Bake until lightly browned (approx. 20 minutes).
Very easy to make this GREAT TASTING CORNBREAD! Had it with a chicken dinner & the leftovers went well with a turkey chowder! A great recipe to keep on hand! Many thanks for posting it! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Zaar Stars Tag Game]
Thank you for the great recipe!! turned out great i did add just a little vanilla to it. the texture was terrific. thanks again. this recipe will be used often!!
This cornbread has a lovely texture: its moist and soft on the inside with a nice crust to the outside. The taste is nice, only barely sweet and perfect to accompany a chili or a hearty meal. YUM! I think I would have liked some more flavour, though. Maybe some vanilla added or if youre going into the hearty direction some garlic or chilli powder.
All in all a very easy and quick to make recipe with good results that Ill make again slightly tweaked due to personal preference.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this keeper with us, appleydappley!
Made and reviewed on recommendation of Sydney Mike June 2011.