Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
I noticed every cracker salad here at RZ called for fresh tomatoes so I figured ... why not ... I'll put in the recipe I was raised on. The other recipes here look good also ... this just happens to be the one I am used to and we dearly love it. It is great as a side-dish with fried chicken, great as an appy stuffed inside little cherry or grape tomatoes, and perfect as a complete lunch when stuffed inside a tomato. Haha ... DH is sitting here now eating it as a dip on top of more saltines. :)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 sleeve saltine crackers, crushed (leave a bit chunky)
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 large eggs, hard-boiled, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped (optional ... I love it both ways)
- salt and pepper
- Pour tomatoes (including juice) in a large boil. Using your hands, squeeze each tomatoe through your fingers (be careful you don't squirt the juice on you -- I poke each one good with my fingers gently before I commence squeezing) until they look crushed but still chunky. Yes, you can buy already crushed tomatoes but I don't like their texture -- almost like a sauce instead of crushed tomatoes.
- To the tomatoes, add remaining ingredients and stir. If appears to dry for you, add a LITTLE more mayo.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Tastes just as great either fresh made or after refrigerated.
Sorry, this just wasn't to our taste. I guess southwestern PA isn't down south enough!
Delicious, Moonchild! Mine doesn't quite look like *Tink*'s, but I think that is because I used a little more mayo than she did. I'm sure you know how we southerners like our mayo! Too bad I couldn't make it with Duke's, but it never quite made it out West! Thnx for sharing your recipe. It was certainly enjoyed, and tasted even better the next day!
Um um good!