From the Albertsons/Sav-On Company. Lots of nutritious but delicious ingredients!Ideal dish for a brunch selection. Vegan-friendly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups vanilla-flavored soymilk or 1 3/4 cups vanilla-flavored rice milk or 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon soy margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (NOT quick cooking)
- 1 apples (I used a combination of both) or 1 pear, peeled, seeded, cored and chopped small (I used a combination of both)
- 1/3 cup dried tart cherries or 1/3 cup dried cranberries or 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or 2 tablespoons unbleached cane sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or 1 tablespoon unbleached cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon real vanilla extract (omit if using vanilla-flavored soy milk or rice milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (my addition)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1Lightly toast walnuts and set aside.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Coat a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with butter or margarine substitute.
- 4In a medium saucepan, bring the soy milk (or substitute) and butter to the boil. Slowly stir in the oats with a fork.
- 5Stir in the apple and/or pears, dried fruit of choice, toasted walnuts, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, vanilla extract if using, cinnamon, and the salt.
- 6Cook mixture, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Be careful not to burn! Pour the oatmeal mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- 7Bake, uncovered for 15 minutes. The last 5 minutes of cooking, sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of brown sugar on top and bake until the top is bubbly.
- 8Serve warm with additional warmed soymilk or milk served on the side if you wish.
- 9For vegan use soy milk, rice milk and soy margarine options.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Oatmeal Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.1
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 189.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 15.1 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: