Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
In ‘Slow Cooker: The Best Cookbook Ever’ by Diane Phillips
Top Review by Baby Kato
Delicious meat loaf ratherbeswimmin. It was quick and easy to make with ingredients always found in the pantry. The meat loaf was moist and tender and full of flavor. The bbq sauce was the icing on the cake so to speak....it really tasted fantastic. What a terrific meal we had, served it with recipe #59280 and recipe #459312 for a wonderful comfort meal. Dh raved about it all night. Thanks for making me look like a star. Made for Name that Ingredient Tag Game.
- 2 slices white bread, torn into pieces
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef (85% lean)
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- Tabasco sauce, 6 dashes
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the bread in a small bowl, pour the milk over the bread, and let soak for 5 minutes.
- Put the meat in a large mixing bowl and add the remaining ingredients, including the milk-soaked bread.
- Do not squeeze the moisture out of the bread.
- Using clean hands or a large spoon, stir the mixture together until the ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- Form the mixture into a loaf about 6 inches long and e inches wide and tall.
- Set aside while you mix the sauce ingredients, or cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Stir together all the sauce ingredients in the insert of a 5- to 7-quart slow cooker and set the meat loaf in the sauce.
- Spoon some of the sauce over the top of the meat loaf to coat it.
- Cook the meat loaf on HIGH for 1 hour.
- Decrease heat to LOW and cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the meat loaf registers 165 degrees, 5-6 hours.
- Using two long, wide spatulas, remove the meat loaf from the slow cooker, cover with foil, and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Cut the meat loaf into ½ inch thick slices with a serrated knife.
- Serve with some of the sauce.