Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I've not seen any recipe like this here. Mom used to make it, and it is divine comfort food; chunks of cheddar and a basic Béchamel sauce, topped with buttery bread crumbs, make for an amazing dish! **Béchamel sauce technique updated, thanks Noo for pointing out the error.**
- 2 cups macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups milk
- 5 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cheddar cheese, medium and old, diced
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cook macaroni, drain.
- Melt butter over medium heat, add flour and cook briefly while stirring, until slightly golden in colour. Meanwhile, heat milk in microwave or on stove in separate pot until warm.
- Slowly add milk to flour and butter mixture; cook while whisking until sauce thickens. Add salt and pepper.
- Put half the cooked macaroni in a 9x13 pan; layer half the cheese, and half the sauce. Repeat.
- Top with breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle top with melted butter.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 to 40 minutes, until bubbling in middle.
Why do people buy boxed macaroni and cheese when you can easily prepare it at home?
Macaroni and Cheese is one of the best examples of comfort food: creamy, rich, satisfying, delicious. I reduced the cheese to about 4 cups shredded and used a combination of Oregon-made Bandon sharp cheese/New Zealand white sharp cheddar and increased the breadcrumbs to 1 cup. A light sprinkle of paprika on top for color and contrast. One suggestion-slightly undercook the pasta because it works better in the long one. Served with steamed romanesco and a simple tossed salad with vinaigrette. Thanks for posting, Katzen. Reviewed for Veg Tag/October.
I halved this recipe and it fit perfectly in my little 6 1/2 x 6 1/2 corning ware casserole dish, but after tasting it I wished I had made the full amount. I made exactly as written, except that I added a slice of Velveeta cheese over the sauce on each of the layers. I have never made mac and cheese where you sprinkle the cheese over the macaroni and then pour a white sauce over it. I had always added the cheese to the sauce and then poured that over the macaroni. I must say this made for a creamy and delicious macaroni and cheese. I made half the recipe and ended up with about 2 1/2 servings. The leftovers reheat very nicely and doesn't lose any of its creaminess. My MIL loves mac and cheese, but has never made homemade mac and cheese. I will have to make this over at their house and give them a special treat. Thanks for the great recipe, Katzen, and thanks for recommending this recipe, Baby Kato. Made for Best of 2010 Cookbooks Tag Game.