1/8 Photos of Old Fashioned Macaroni and Cheese
I've not seen any recipe like this here. Mom used to make it, and it is divine comfort food; chunks of cheddar and a basic Béchamel sauce, topped with buttery bread crumbs, make for an amazing dish! **Béchamel sauce technique updated, thanks Noo for pointing out the error.**
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook macaroni, drain.
- 2Melt butter over medium heat, add flour and cook briefly while stirring, until slightly golden in colour. Meanwhile, heat milk in microwave or on stove in separate pot until warm.
- 3Slowly add milk to flour and butter mixture; cook while whisking until sauce thickens. Add salt and pepper.
- 4Put half the cooked macaroni in a 9x13 pan; layer half the cheese, and half the sauce. Repeat.
- 5Top with breadcrumbs.
- 6Sprinkle top with melted butter.
- 7Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 to 40 minutes, until bubbling in middle.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (180 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 496.0
- Calories from Fat 295
- Total Fat 32.8 g
- Saturated Fat 20.5 g
- Cholesterol 100.1 mg
- Sodium 560.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 23.3 g