I've not seen any recipe like this here. Mom used to make it, and it is divine comfort food; chunks of cheddar and a basic Béchamel sauce, topped with buttery bread crumbs, make for an amazing dish! **Béchamel sauce technique updated, thanks Noo for pointing out the error.**
- Cook macaroni, drain.
- Melt butter over medium heat, add flour and cook briefly while stirring, until slightly golden in colour. Meanwhile, heat milk in microwave or on stove in separate pot until warm.
- Slowly add milk to flour and butter mixture; cook while whisking until sauce thickens. Add salt and pepper.
- Put half the cooked macaroni in a 9x13 pan; layer half the cheese, and half the sauce. Repeat.
- Top with breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle top with melted butter.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 to 40 minutes, until bubbling in middle.