Recipe by ReeLani
Yummy sounding gingerbread recipe from John Zehnder, the Food/Beverage Director of Zehnder's Restaurant in Frankenmuth, Michigan. Prep time includes an hour for chilling.
- 118.32 ml softened butter
- 118.29 ml packed light brown sugar
- 118.29 ml molasses
- 1 large egg
- 591.47 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 14.79 ml ground ginger
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground allspice
OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR ICING
- 473.18 ml powdered sugar
- 78.07 ml softened butter
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 29.58 ml milk or 29.58 ml cream
- 4.92 ml ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream together butter and sugar, then beat in molasses and egg.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter/sugar mixture and mix until well blended.
- Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about a 3/4-inch thickness.
- Cut into 3-inch squares, or use your choice of cookie cutters to cut out shapes.
- Place on cookie sheets and bake 7-8 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- If you plan to ice your gingerbread, prepare the icing now.
- Mix all icing ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth.