Prep1 hr 15 mins
Yummy sounding gingerbread recipe from John Zehnder, the Food/Beverage Director of Zehnder's Restaurant in Frankenmuth, Michigan. Prep time includes an hour for chilling.
- 8 tablespoons softened butter
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR ICING
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup softened butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream together butter and sugar, then beat in molasses and egg.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter/sugar mixture and mix until well blended.
- Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about a 3/4-inch thickness.
- Cut into 3-inch squares, or use your choice of cookie cutters to cut out shapes.
- Place on cookie sheets and bake 7-8 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- If you plan to ice your gingerbread, prepare the icing now.
- Mix all icing ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth.