Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
You'll never go back to instant cocoa again!
- 118.29 ml Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 59.14 ml powdered sugar
- 118.29 ml half-and-half
- 946.36 ml milk
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- grated chocolate, to garnish
- whipped cream, to garnish
- In a small pan, combine cocoa and sugar, whisk in half and half till smooth.
- Over low heat, whisk in milk and vanilla, bring to a simmer.
- Pour into hot mugs and top with cream and chocolate.
- To add variety add cinnamon and nutmeg before adding milk, or use peppermint extract in place of vanilla.
Rich chocolatey cocoa with a dominate chocolate flavor. Used Penzey's dutch process cocoa and loved it. Not very sweet, though, and all three of my kids refused to drink it as is. A little more sugar made it just right for the kiddie crowd. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
WOW! This is the REAL THING! A taste from my childhood that I never thought I'd find again...My kids love hot chocolate, but we ran out of the instant packets so we gave this a try and GUESS WHAT...Cheyenne specifically requested that I do NOT get more instant packets at the store! LOL! So far this week, we have made a batch for their bedtime snack 4 days in a row! I love the richness that the vanilla adds and the creaminess that the half & half adds. PERFECTION!! Thank you for sharing this, Shirl!
Simple and delicious. I like that there is not a terribly large amount of sugar so the flavor of the chocolate really shines through. The amount of half-and-half is just right for this to be rich and delicous without being cloying and overpowering. I think the powdered sugar gives a gentler sweetness than many other cocoas made with regular sugar. I know this one's a keeper because I made it once and then went back to make it the next day! Thanks!