Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe goes back a long time. Its comfort food at its best.
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 4 slices bread, buttered with
- Preheat oven at 350.
- In a medium saucepan melt butter. Add flour and cook for one minute to remove rawness.
- Add milk gradually, carefully avoiding lumps. Also add salt, pepper, mustard, cheese and beaten egg yolks till everything is well incorporated.
- Remove from fire and cool slightly.
- Beat egg whites till stiff and lightly incorporate into the white sauce.
- Line botom of casserole dish with bread slices, buttered side up and top with white sauce.
- Bake till puffed and browned, almost like a cake.
I noticed the recipe yesterday and couldn't wait to give it a try I love souffles, and this one did not dissapoint, it baked out lovely with a great flavor, this is one I will make again thank you for sharing this great recipe mulan!