Recipe by Chef likestocook
I have always loved cucumbers in vinegar. My grandmother used to fix them and this tastes like hers. I can remember her saying that she started hers like her pickles so getting most of the water out of the cucumbers must be the trick. I can remember her putting left over onions and tomatoes into the vinegar mixture after a meal. Laura and I love this in the summer.
Top Review by LonghornMama
Simple, old-fashioned, and very tasty. Couldn't find pickling cucumbers this time of year so used regular cucs, sliced a little thicker, with good results. Love the tip about tossing in leftover onions and tomatoes. Yummy! Thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for PAC Fall 2007.
- 4 cups pickling cucumbers, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place sliced cucumbers in bowl;sprinkle every few layers with salt.
- Cover cucumbers with a plate and weight them down with a heavy can.
- Let stand at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Drain cucumbers and press out remaining liquid.
- Stir together vinegar and sugar; pour over slices.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.