Prep 10 mins
Cook 22 mins
This is what used to be on the Bisquick box. This old recipe is moister and has a better topping (if you like gooey crannies) than the recipe on the box now (2008). For my family this is "Grandma's coffee cake" which she makes by the yard when we are together. It is easy to double (and we often do this) and then cook in two round pans. A doubled recipe can also be cooked in a larger rectangular pan (not sure of the cooking time though - sorry)
Coffee cake batter
- 473.18 ml Bisquick baking mix
- 158.51 ml milk or 158.51 ml water
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml oil (old variation)
- 1 egg
Old style struesel topping
- 29.58 ml Bisquick
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml butter (better with butter) or 29.58 ml hard margarine (better with butter)
- 9.85 ml cinnamon
- Heat oven to 375ºF.
- Grease 9-inch round pan.
- Make Cinnamon Streusel; reserve. (my sister often doubles this recipe so that there is lots of topping).
- Stir coffee cake batter ingredients until blended.
- Spread in pan.
- Sprinkle with Cinnamon Streusel.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let sit a few minutes and then serve warm with butter and lots of milk or coffee.
I had despaired of ever finding this recipe again. I made it as a bride in 1957 using 2 teaspoons of cardamom. Delicious. I had thought perhaps I should had a tad more shortening in the future. Doubling the topping is a good idea, and doubling the recipe for a 9x13 pan.
Ok, so, I thought I had messed up the recipe when it turned out dry and crumbly. In reality, the recipe was changed! Thank you so much for posting this. I LOVE it! I was so disappointed with the new recipe that I thought maybe I'd used some recipe other than Bisquick and couldn't remember it. I'm glad to have my favorite coffee cake back. I cant thank you enough. This recipe is moist, and delicious.
This was so easy to make!! I did add one fresh apple that I chopped and added apple pie spice, fresh grated lemon zest and three tbsps. of sugar. I did double the topping and added toasted pecans and walnuts. It is such an easy cake to make and one that you can let your creative juices flow with this one!!! My husband requested that I make this again..... that is proof in the pudding for me :-)