Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Based on the South African 'crunchie' which is traditonally made with whole rolled oats. I didnt have any oats, but had oat flour so tweaked the recipe with fabulous results!
- 3 cups oat flour (keep 1/2 cup extra if required)
- 1 cup desiccated coconut (keep 1/2 cup more handy if required)
- 1 cup whole meal flour
- 1 cup sugar (can reduce to 3/4 cup if desired, use brown or white)
- 250 g butter or 250 g ghee or 250 g coconut fat
- 1 tablespoon honey or 1 tablespoon syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Melt butter in a pot.
- When melted stir in honey. Then stir in soda.
- Mixture will froth, add this immediately to dry ingredients.
- If you feel the mixture is too wet, you can add the extra oat flour or coconut. Press mixture into a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 160 degrees celcius for 20 minutes.
- Put oven off after this time, and leave in oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove and leave to cool. Cut into squares.