Prep 2 mins
Cook 3 mins
Called Oat Surprise because it was surprisingly tasty considering no sugar and barely any milk. Quick, satisfying, and once your tastebuds adjust to no sugar, delicious. A great Low GI start to the day. Could be taken in a baggie to work for a healthy lunch. This is my original recipe but I have listed options below.
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats (porridge oats)
- 1 dried apricot halves, chopped finely (Yes only ONE apricot)
- 1 cup water, boiled
- 3 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon vanilla (about 4 to 6 drops or to taste)
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 5 cashews, chopped
- 5 almonds, chopped
- Combine first 6 ingredients in bowl, microwave on HIGH 2 mins, stir, microwave another 1 minute Add topping, stir through, leave to sit for a minute if you prefer thicker, or add a little water if you prefer thinner.
- Other alternatives would be mashed banana, other dried fruits in miniscule amounts to keep it low GI. Pepitas are great high protein toppers too.
- This will give you a sustained release of energy rather than the eat, run, then get tired routine with normal shop cereals.