This makes a wonderful treat to serve at the holidays or to bring as a gift. I use the non-stick foil for this but a piece of buttered parchment paper lined in the pan will work fine also --- servings is only estimated, really it should be only one serving I could eat the whole thing myself, these are very addicting :)
- 1 (10 ounce) package saltine crackers (make certain that you use the salted crackers and do not break)
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter (preferably butter, margaine is not as good!)
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 1 (12 ounce) package milk chocolate chips (can use semi-sweet)
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pecans, finely chopped (or use almonds)
- Set oven to 400°F.
- Line a 10 x 15-inch baking sheet with non-stick foil (or use parchment paper).
- Place each cracker in a single layer in the baking sheet (add on more if needed to cover the sheet).
- In a medium saucepan bring the butter and brown sugar to a boil over medium heat.
- When the mixture comes to a FULL boil, boil for 3 minutes (set timer for 3 minutes after mixture reaches a full boil) you may reduce the heat so that the mixture does not boil over the saucepan.
- Mix in vanilla (if using) then immediately pour the hot mixture over the top of the crackers.
- Bake in a 400°F oven for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the crackers, then spread using a back of a spoon to smooth out and cover.
- Sprinkle the nuts evenly over the top.
- Place in the refrigerator for about 3-4 hours or until set.
- Break into pieces and store in a covered container in the refrigerator.