Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is as close as I can come to the cake I made for my Dad's 50 Birthday over 20 years ago. This recipe is a lot smaller. Then I did make it in a sheet cake and it had a frosting at the time not a glaze like here. If you want a really good frosting give this Creamy Chocolate Frosting Creamy Chocolate Frosting a try, but use Frangelica liqueur instead of the rum.
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1 package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup Baileys Irish Cream
- 1⁄4 cup Frangelico liqueur
- 1⁄8 cup water
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup Frangelico, for soaking on cake
For The Glaze
- 1⁄4 cup Baileys Irish Cream
- powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup toasted sliced almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat for 3 minutes.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10 inch bundt pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees 40 to 50 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from bundt pan.
- With a pastry brush brush Frangelico on cooked cake and let it cool completely.
- Mix Baileys and 1 cup sugar until a thick glaze is formed adding more sugar if necessary.
- When ready, pour over the cooled cake.
- Or use the frosting recipe above.
- Sprinkle toasted almonds into glaze while still soft pressing gentle so to stay on cake.
really good, rita. i used amaretto as that's what i had on hand. my kids loved this cake!
This cake drew loud exclamations of, "Oh my gosh, this is so good!" when I served it tonight. I had to agree - this cake is simple and wonderful. Full of great flavors, with a lovely texture. I just happened to have some melted chocolate on hand and drizzled that over the top of the glaze before pressing some almonds on top of the cake. Just wonderful - thanks for sharing!
Really decadent! I was worried at the amounts of alcohol, but it tastes wonderful. However, I would not feed it to kids.