Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a peppy variation of the popular cereal snack so many people like. This recipe makes a lot, but it goes fast. Make it a day or two ahead to allow the flavor to develop. If you should happen to have any leftovers, they freeze well (and taste great right out of the freezer!). Recipe from Redbook magazine.
- 1 (15 ounce) box Cheerios toasted oat cereal
- 1 (15 ounce) box Wheat Chex
- 1 (8 ounce) box Rice Chex
- 3 3⁄4 cups dry-roasted unsalted peanuts
- 1 (10 ounce) boxvery thin pretzel sticks
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Mix cereals, nuts and pretzels in one very large or two small roasting pans.
- Heat the remaining ingredients in a saucepan over moderate heat. Stir occasionally until small bubbles appear on bottom of pan.
- Gradually pour hot, seasoned oil over cereal mixture, stirring gently to coat well.
- Bake 1-1/2 to 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. Store in airtight containers.
- Note that regular salted roasted peanuts may be substituted for the peanuts specified above.
OooooWeeee!!Hot Stuff Coming!!! VERY SPICY mix ... I Love It! I must say though, I have always used butter not oil, especially not a cup and a half, so I was very skeptical about the outcome. The spices didn't blend well with the oil, I'm not sure if that's what was suppose to happen, but I poured it over the cereal mixture anyway, then poured the spices that were left at the bottom of the pot over that and baked as per the instructions ... What do you know? Everything turned out just fine. My co-workers are going to love this ...Thanks Lorraine ;)