Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A nice flavorfull cake for morning coffe or afternoon/evening snack. Nutmeg adds a deliteful flavor to this cake.
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut butter into small pieces.
- With a pastry cutter, two forks or your fingertips, blend butter into flour mixture until it resembles fine cornmeal.
- Take half of it and press into the bottom of the baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine milk, egg and nutmeg.
- Add to remaining flour mixture along with chopped walnuts.
- Spoon over the mixture in pan.
- Bake for 4550 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan slightly before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
very nice cake. I needed a cake the required no white sugar. I love the crumb layer at the bottom and the buttery flavor to the cake. this was really easy to make, and i'll definitely be using this recipe again.