This veggie chicken soup is based on a Mollie Katzen recipe. Instead of discarding the vegetable I sometimes mash them, add some eggs, oil and matzo meal and make them into a kugel.
- Combine everything in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, and partially cover.
- Cook slowly for 1-2 hours.
- Turn off heat and let soup cool to room temperature.
- Strain out and discard all the vegetables.
- Heat gently just before serving.
- We cook matzoh balls separately and add them to the soup as we serve it.
- Matzoh balls cooked or reheated in the soup will turn a beautiful golden color thanks to the turmeric.
This is a really good veggie broth that can be made in a crockpot and used for a variety of clear broth style soups. After the simmering vegetables are removed I added diced carrots, cauliflowerettes, and a quarter cup of French lentils, simmering until the lentils were just tender. Garnish with finely minced parsley and chives. Very nice! Thanks, Mirj.
This looks like it would be good as a veggie broth for risotto or anything that needs a broth when you are serving vegans!!
Lovely clear veggie soup. I left the veggies in and did not puree just served as is - very enjoyable. I would love to try it with the matzoh balls. The garlic flavor is just right. I used 4 cups vegetable broth and 4 cups water and cooked for 1 hour. Thanks Mirj for a soup that is now in my favorites.