This veggie chicken soup is based on a Mollie Katzen recipe. Instead of discarding the vegetable I sometimes mash them, add some eggs, oil and matzo meal and make them into a kugel.
- Combine everything in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, and partially cover.
- Cook slowly for 1-2 hours.
- Turn off heat and let soup cool to room temperature.
- Strain out and discard all the vegetables.
- Heat gently just before serving.
- We cook matzoh balls separately and add them to the soup as we serve it.
- Matzoh balls cooked or reheated in the soup will turn a beautiful golden color thanks to the turmeric.