Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
While I love pasta, meat sauce and cheese, I am not crazy about ricotta or cottage cheese fillings in lasagnes. This recipe given to me by a friend solved the ricotta problem by replacing the ricotta layer with a white sauce, and gave me a lasagne I have been proud to make over and over again. Years later, an Italian friend told me that the white sauce in this recipe is actually bechamel, and it is very classic!
- 1 lb lasagne pasta
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb provolone cheese, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 carrot, small dices
- 4 garlic cloves
- 10 celery ribs, small dices
- 1 medium onion, small dices
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 16 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaf
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped finely
- Meat Sauce: Saute the carrot, garlic, onion, and celery in 3 tablespoons olive oil until soft.
- Crumble sausage into veggie mixture, breaking it up.
- Brown for 20 minutes.
- Crumble ground beef into mixture, stirring until broken up and browned.
- Add white wine and tomato paste, stirring well to distribute.
- Add 1/4 cup chopped parsley.
- Once all meat loses its red color, add large can of crushed tomatoes.
- White Sauce: Make the white sauce by melting butter in microwave.
- Microwave milk for three minutes.
- Combine melted butter, hot milk, flour, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and 1/4 cup chopped parsley to milk mixture.
- Add 1/2 cup parmesan; stir to melt.
- Stir to smooth, medium thickness.
- Assembly: Boil lasagne noodles until al dente.
- Line lasagne pan with layer of noodles, followed by meat sauce, followed by white sauce, followed by cheeses, including remainder of parmesan. Repeat layers, topping with cheese.
- Bake at 325 degrees until hot throughout and cheese is bubbly.
- I find this is better the day after made.