Prep 45 mins
Cook 12 mins
Published for the ZWT3. Norwegian wreath cookies - These are decorative holiday cookies adding quite a bright, colorful aromatic touch to your plate of cookies. This recipe comes from fooddownunder.com.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup solid shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange peel, grated
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- red cinnamon candies (optional)
- green food coloring (optional)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Mix thoroughly butter, shortening, sugar, orange peel and eggs. Blend in flour. Color with green food coloring, if desired.
- Shape dough by rounded teaspoonfuls into ropes, each about 6 inches long and 1/4 inch in diameter.
- Form each rope into a circle, bringing one end over the other and through into a single knot. Let about 1/2 inch extend at each end. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Press in red cinnamon candies, if desired.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set but not brown. Immediately remove from baking sheet.