Recipe by LitaLou
This recipe is from a long-defunct and short-lived 1980's magazine, "New Woman." It's a delicious and easy soup, and although the recipe doesn't call for it, I like to add cabbage and to spice it up with some crushed red pepper.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, cut in 1/4-inch rounds
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 ounces ham, diced
- 1⁄2 cup canned tomato
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup red kidney beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup macaroni
- parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in medium saucepan. Cook carrot and onion in hot oil, 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic, basil and ham and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and if using whole tomatoes, crush. Add broth & beans. Mash some of the beans with potato masher. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Add pasta, and cook until done per package directions.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese.