Corn and Kidney Bean Soup
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small green bell peppers (about 1/2 cup) or 1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 3⁄4 cups beef stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (about 1 cup)
- tortilla chips (optional) or warm flour tortilla (optional)
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven, heat the oil over moderate heat for 1 minute. Add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic and saute for 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Add the beans, tomatoes, stock, tomato juice, and corn. Stir in the chili powder and cumin.
- Bring the soup to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Ladle soup into individual soup bowls and sprinkle each with some of the cheese. Serve immediately with tortilla chips or warm flour tortillas, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I really enjoyed this recipe! Thanks for providing it. However, I did make a few little variations based on a recipe from the Cornucopia Wholefood & Vegetarian Restaurant (in Dublin): I added a leek, more garlic, 2 sticks of celery, and above all, I fried half of the corn (directly from frozen and with no oil in the frying pan) along with a tblsp of brown sugar (to cut the acidity of the tomatoes). I only submit the idea in case someone else finds it useful.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I have started cooking at home more and more, and found that I actually enjoy it! I am married, no children, two dogs and live in Western Nebraska. <br /><br /><img src=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/GGtiedyesmall.gif alt= /> <br /><br />My Dog Tucker: <br /><a href=http://tinypic.com target=_blank><img src=http://i42.tinypic.com/155l20g.jpg border=0 alt=Image and video hosting by TinyPic /></a> <br /><br />My Dog Snags: <br /><a href=http://tinypic.com target=_blank><img src=http://i40.tinypic.com/2en41mx.jpg border=0 alt=Image and video hosting by TinyPic /></a> <br /><br />Games that I participate in: <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/590105/hcabc.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Recipezaar%20Album/iplaytagin.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/pt-shutterbug-banner-1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/northwestgal/redbannercopy.jpg border=0 alt=New Kids Participation Banner /><img src=http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/1542.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/Sharon123/NZT-2-AnnaciasZaarTagbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Annacia's banner for Zaar Tag /> <br /><br />Swaps I have participated in: <br /><img src=http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/housedaughter/hiswap.jpg border=0 alt=H and I /> <br /><img src=http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w115/bugh8er/Valentines%20Day/val3.png border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr336/jess4freedom/Zaar%20banners/emergency_amtag.jpg alt= /> <br /><a href=http://photobucket.com target=_blank><img src=http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w115/bugh8er/St%20Pats/4811_68275.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr336/jess4freedom/Zaar%20banners/saltpepper_amtag.jpg border=0 alt=Salt and Pepper /> <br /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/CookbookParticipation.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/timeswap.jpg border=0 alt= /></a></p>