This is the bread pudding served at Norma's Cafe, Norma's On the Run, and Norma's By the Bay in Pensacola, FL. People wait in line to get a taste of Norma's bread pudding.
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut, make it a large 1/3 cup, but not
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 3 -4 cups French bread, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄8 cup whiskey or 1⁄8 cup lemon juice or 1⁄8 cup Amaretto
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- Combine the sugar, milk and water in a bowl and mix well. Add the eggs, salt, vanilla, coconut and 1/4 cup melted margarine and mix well. Stir in the bread cubes. Let stand until the liquid is absorbed. Spoon into a 9 x 12 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the pudding rises like a souffle and springs back when touched.
- For the sauce: Combine the eggs and flavoring (whiskey or lemon juice or amaretto, not all!) in a food processor. Process until well blended. Add the confectioners' sugar and 1/2 cup melted margarine and process until smooth.
The amaretto is key in this! I have had the original recipe at Norma's and this is it....Think some of the 4 stars didn't use the amaretto. Sublime bread pudding. Thanks!
We're 2 who love coconut, so that was included as I followed the recipe right on down ~ Well, almost, that is, 'cause I did substitute a whole grain bread for what was given in the ingredients! You have a great tasting bread pudding here & I'm keeping your recipe around, for sure! Made & reviewed as a THANK YOU for completing the Baker's Dozen Special in this fall's round of Pick A Chef]
Good bread pudding. I did use 2% milk, and I used lemon juice..Liked the flavoring, though we were not used to the coconut being in this, though it was a nice change, it was all right. I will make again towards the winter months, and adjust it, and will update the review . Made for 1-2-3 hits.