Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is the bread pudding served at Norma's Cafe, Norma's On the Run, and Norma's By the Bay in Pensacola, FL. People wait in line to get a taste of Norma's bread pudding.
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut, make it a large 1/3 cup, but not
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 3 -4 cups French bread, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄8 cup whiskey or 1⁄8 cup lemon juice or 1⁄8 cup Amaretto
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- Combine the sugar, milk and water in a bowl and mix well. Add the eggs, salt, vanilla, coconut and 1/4 cup melted margarine and mix well. Stir in the bread cubes. Let stand until the liquid is absorbed. Spoon into a 9 x 12 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the pudding rises like a souffle and springs back when touched.
- For the sauce: Combine the eggs and flavoring (whiskey or lemon juice or amaretto, not all!) in a food processor. Process until well blended. Add the confectioners' sugar and 1/2 cup melted margarine and process until smooth.
The amaretto is key in this! I have had the original recipe at Norma's and this is it....Think some of the 4 stars didn't use the amaretto. Sublime bread pudding. Thanks!
We're 2 who love coconut, so that was included as I followed the recipe right on down ~ Well, almost, that is, 'cause I did substitute a whole grain bread for what was given in the ingredients! You have a great tasting bread pudding here & I'm keeping your recipe around, for sure! Made & reviewed as a THANK YOU for completing the Baker's Dozen Special in this fall's round of Pick A Chef]
Good bread pudding. I did use 2% milk, and I used lemon juice..Liked the flavoring, though we were not used to the coconut being in this, though it was a nice change, it was all right. I will make again towards the winter months, and adjust it, and will update the review . Made for 1-2-3 hits.