Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
A new fashion in food, already being seen in various hot restaurants in New York: variety meats have become chic. Posted from an online source.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs sweetbreads (2 small pairs)
- 2 lbs apples, peeled and quartered (Use a good flavored apple for this old favorite such as Fuji, Gala, Granny Smith, Jonathan, Cortland)
- 7 tablespoons butter, melted
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 slices bread, crusts removed and cut into squares
- 4 teaspoons apple brandy or 4 teaspoons calvados
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Soak the sweetbreads in warm water for 1 hour.
- Remove the membranes and bloody tissues.
- Put cleaned sweetbreads in a pan of boiling salted water and simmer 3 minutes.
- Drain and cool.
- Cook apples in a shallow covered pan with 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Melt 5 tablespoons butter in another pan and add sweetbreads.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper; cover with a piece of buttered parchment to keep the meat from darkening.
- Reduce heat, cover the pan and cook very gently for 30 minutes.
- Fry bread cubes in butter until golden.
- Remove paper from sweetbreads; add the apple brandy and light with a match.
- When the flames have subsided, place the sweetbreads on a heated platter.
- Add the cream to the pan and stir hard while heating.
- Pour over the sweetbreads.
- Surround with the fried croutons.
- Serve the apples on a separate dish.