1 hr 40 mins
A new fashion in food, already being seen in various hot restaurants in New York: variety meats have become chic. Posted from an online source.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 lbs sweetbreads (2 small pairs)
- 2 lbs apples, peeled and quartered (Use a good flavored apple for this old favorite such as Fuji, Gala, Granny Smith, Jonathan, Cortland)
- 7 tablespoons butter, melted
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 slices bread, crusts removed and cut into squares
- 4 teaspoons apple brandy or 4 teaspoons calvados
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1Soak the sweetbreads in warm water for 1 hour.
- 2Remove the membranes and bloody tissues.
- 3Put cleaned sweetbreads in a pan of boiling salted water and simmer 3 minutes.
- 4Drain and cool.
- 5Cook apples in a shallow covered pan with 2 tablespoons of butter.
- 6Melt 5 tablespoons butter in another pan and add sweetbreads.
- 7Sprinkle with salt and pepper; cover with a piece of buttered parchment to keep the meat from darkening.
- 8Reduce heat, cover the pan and cook very gently for 30 minutes.
- 9Fry bread cubes in butter until golden.
- 10Remove paper from sweetbreads; add the apple brandy and light with a match.
- 11When the flames have subsided, place the sweetbreads on a heated platter.
- 12Add the cream to the pan and stir hard while heating.
- 13Pour over the sweetbreads.
- 14Surround with the fried croutons.
- 15Serve the apples on a separate dish.
You Might Also Like...View All Beef Organ Meats Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Normandy Sweetbreads
Serving Size: 1 (265 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 465.3
- Calories from Fat 291
- Total Fat 32.3 g
- Saturated Fat 19.8 g
- Cholesterol 94.1 mg
- Sodium 326.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 24.7 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: