Recipe by laurie connolly
I always order half a chicken Caesar salad with a cup of their tomato soup and they know me pretty well there. This is a restaurant recipe and makes 8 gallons!
Top Review by stephchef
I thought this soup was really wonderful and comforting. Just what I needed on a cold day. As we all do, I amended it just a bit. I didn't make 8 gallons (!) and I added minced celery and a clove of garlic. I also used half and half instead of heavy cream and it was still wonderful. Thanks for the recipe. It's a keeper.
- 10 (1 lb) canspeeled plum tomatoes (1 case)
- 3 lbs carrots
- 3 lbs onions
- 4 tablespoons dry basil
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 gallons water
- 1 lb chicken base
- 3 quarts heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In large kettle at med heat, pour 1 cup of olive oil and add roughly chopped onions and carrots.
- Sauté for 15 minutes, then add the basil, salt, pepper, and tomatoes.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Then add the chicken base to the water; whisk to dissolve, and add to kettle.
- Bring to a boil and continue cooking for 45 minutes.
- Then using a hand blender, puree soup while adding the heavy cream, to a thin consistency.
- Reduce heat to a simmer.