Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 (6 ounce) jar red maraschino cherries
- 1 (6 ounce) jar green maraschino cherries
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Drain cherries well; finely chop cherries; press them gently between paper towels to absorb excess moisture; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter, using and electric mixer on medium speed, until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until the yellow yolk disappears.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda; stir in cherries.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Beat batter on low speed just until blended after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla; pour batter into a greased/floured 9x5 inch loafpan.
- Bake in a 325° oven for 1 hour or until a pick comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack.