Recipe by Shannon Holmes
Made this one for my Grandma's and boyfriend's birthday. They both loved it and you will too. The crust stays soft on the inside and gets crusty on the outside. Break out the pizza stone for this one and be hungry :)
Top Review by MizEmerilLagasse
I made this for the "low fatters" at my memorial day pizza party, and everyone loved it. No one guessed it was low fat, so it made to "low fatters" feel great about the party. Thanks!
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- 1 package yeast
- 3⁄4 cup warm water, divided
- 2 1⁄4 cups all purpose white flour, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 34 hormel turkey pepperoni, divided
- 2 cups kraft fat free mozzarella cheese or 2 cups kroger brand mozzarella cheese, shredded,divided
- 10 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small vidalia onion, sliced thin
- 1 dash italian seasoning
- 2⁄3 cup tomato sauce, divided (I used Hunt's Garlic Basil Oregano)
- garlic no stick cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the yeast in a small container with 1/4 cup warm water.
- Let stand about 20 minutes.
- Saute the mushrooms and onions in a non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray until onion is translucent, sprinkling with the italian seasoning, set aside.
- Add the yeast miture to 2 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon applesauce, 2 tablespoons milk, and remaining 1/2 cup warm water.
- Stir until combined.
- Knead on floured board until elastic.
- Place in sprayed bowl, cover with towel and let rise about 40 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down and roll out half of dough on floured board to size of pizza stone.
- Sprinkle said pizza stone lightly with a small amount of cornmeal (to prevent sticking).
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
- Place the rolled out crust on stone.
- Place about 1/3 cup sauce on dough and top with 1 cup cheese, then half of mushroom-onion mixture, then 17 pepperoni slices.
- Spray the exposed crust of dough with garlic spray and place in oven on next to lowest rack.
- Cook until crust is brown, about 10-15 minutes.
- Cut into 4 slices and repeat steps for another pizza.