1/1 Photo of Newest New England Ham & Clam Chowder for the Family
1 hr 15 mins
Creamy and rich and hearty and easy! For those of us with BIG families and who do NOT have easy access to fresh clams, here's the answer. Served with some home-made French bread croutons and sprinkled with grated Cheddar cheese. Do NOT boil the soup after adding the clams--this contributes to Rubber Clam Eraser Syndrome!!! Ewwwww!!!!
My Private Note
big pot ...
Units: US | Metric
- 8 slices bacon (at least, more is good too)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 8 large potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, deseeded & chopped (or red, orange, yellow)
- 1/4 lb ham, diced (optional)
- 1 (46 ounce) can clam juice, divided
- 2 cups whipping cream, divided (half-n-half or milk)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch parsley
- 2 (6 ounce) cans clams, reserve juice (chopped or minced)
- 1In a soup pot, brown the bacon; set aside when crisp.
- 2Add chopped onion (add the butter if you don't have a lot of bacon grease--otherwise save the butter for *later*--as noted below); saute onion for 2-3 minutes, then add potatoes, saute a few more minutes.
- 3Add green pepper to the pot, saute for about 1 minute.
- 4Mix veggies, then add ham and about 1/3 of the clam juice (don't bother measuring, just make sure the potatoes are covered).
- 5Simmer until the potatoes are just starting to get soft (20 minutes?).
- 6Add another shot of clam juice and 1 1/2°C of cream (or milk); return to a low simmer.
- 7Add remainder of clam juice from the big can and reserved from smaller cans; bring to a simmer again, stirring the pot occasionally to prevent sticking.
- 8****If you'd like to have a more "rich" chowder, add the butter now.****.
- 9Mix remaining cream/milk with cornstarch, add gradually to simmering pot until slightly thickened (not goopy, please).
- 10Add salt and pepper to taste along with pinch (or two) of parsley.
- 11Remove from heat and add the clams; stir. Allow to rest for two - three minutes.
- 12Crumble crisp bacon over top of soup; stir.
- 13Serve immediately along with some hearty home-made croutons (1/2 loaf of French bread, cubed & toasted) and grated Cheddar cheese.
- 14VARIATIONS: Skip the ham and add 1-2 cups sweet corn kernels.
- 15***NOTE*** When the store has a special on peppers, I buy a bunch, clean them up and chop into preparation-size bits, then quick-freeze them on cookie sheets (one-layer deep), then pour them into one-gallon zipper bags to store in the freezer. I keep a smaller container in my kitchen freezer for ready-access (and doesn't take up so much space).
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Newest New England Ham & Clam Chowder for the Family
Serving Size: 1 (369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 489.2
- Calories from Fat 208
- Total Fat 23.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 76.7 mg
- Sodium 572.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 11.9 g