Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Don't misss out on this one! Being in a dilema one day with some sea bass that I needed to cook, but would not be eating the same day, I steamed it with some thyme, refrigerated it and then used it the next day in this recipe in place of the raw fish and just feel in love with the cold salad! In as much as we love sushi and sashimi, I will try it with the raw fish as well. I will also try it with cooked shrimp, scallops, lobster, etc. It has so many possibilites and is so low-cal, with an Oriental flair in the dressing. This recipe came from www.fishingworks.com.
- 1⁄2 cantaloupe or 1⁄4 honeydew melon
- 1 grapefruit
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced sweet pickled ginger
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1⁄4 lb jicama, shredded (3 inch wedge) (optional)
- 3 -4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons plum sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 6 ounces salmon fillets
- 6 ounces firm white fish fillets, such as sea bass
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- 1 green onion, slivered
- Peel melon and cut into crescents.
- Segment grapefruit by cutting away the peel and white pith; cut and lift out segments.
- (For a real time-saver, buy these already prepared in your grocery store) In a bowl, combine melon, grapefruit, ginger, carrot, and jicama.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Place sesame seeds in a small frying pan over medium heat; cook, shaking pan continuously, until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- (For another time-saver, toast these in your micro-wave).
- Immediately remove from pan to cool.
- Remove any skin and bones from fish.
- Thinly slice fish across the grain to make pieces about 1 by 2 inches.
- Fan slices on a serving platter, alternating pink and white fish.
- In a small bowl, combine lime juice, oil and white pepper and drizzle over fish.
- To assemble.
- Drizzle lime juice mixture over fish.
- Mound salad mixture in center of fish.
- Spoon dressing over the salad, and garnish with peanuts, sesame seed and green onions.