1/5 Photos of New Orleans' Style Choux Fritters
Compliments of Mouseplanet.com this New Orleans' specialty dessert is a much beloved recipe of mine I found online a few years ago. Preparing these fritters brings back cherished memories of trips with my family to Disneyland in Calfornia. The Disneyland Resort sells boxed fritter mixes but why buy a mix when you can make these easily and cheaply at home from scratch? Serve with coffee, hot cocoa or as they do in the South (at least by Disney's interpretation): non-alcoholic mint juleps!! See Disneyland's Mint Julep (Non-Alcoholic)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1*Melt butter in boiling water, add salt and flour and beat vigorously by hand. Remove from heat as soon as mixture leaves side of pan (this will only take a few seconds.). *For best results use a non-stick pan.
- 2Transfer mixture to bowl. Cool slightly.
- 3Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- 4Heat about 3/4 cup of oil in a tall, narrow pan to 375 degrees. Dip a tablespoon into the oil first to coat, then into the batter.
- 5Carefully drop tablespoonfuls of batter into the hot oil and fry until brown on all sides and fritters are about the size of a small egg. Only cook about 3 or 4 fritters at one time making sure not to overcrowd.
- 6With slotted spoon, remove fritters from oil and drain on paper towel.
- 7Roll in granulated sugar and serve hot. Crank up the Clifton Chenier music to high volume and enjoy the fritters! Aieeee!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Orleans' Style Choux Fritters
Serving Size: 1 (772 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 948.0
- Calories from Fat 509
- Total Fat 56.6 g
- Saturated Fat 32.4 g
- Cholesterol 494.0 mg
- Sodium 843.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 24.3 g