2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Ex-Pat Mama's Note:
Sinfully delicious! Submitted by Lori Scott for An Afternoon In New Orleans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 -14 cups bread cubes, day old french bread is best
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups whole milk
- 6 large eggs
- 1 7/8 cups brown sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- confectioners' sugar, for garnish
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup rum (or bourbon if preferred)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1Using the first 12 ingredients (from bread cubes down to confectioner's sugar) prepare the bread pudding by following the steps below:.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 â„‰. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan with the butter. Set aside.
- 3Place the bread cubes in a large bowl.
- 4Combine the cream, milk, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and raisins in a large bowl. Stir to combine and then pour over the bread cubes. Allow to sit at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes.
- 5Transfer to the prepared pan and bake until the center of the pudding is set, 50 to 60 minutes.
- 6Garnish with the confectioner's sugar and serve with Rum Sauce - directions below:.
- 7In a one quart saucepan over medium heat, combine the cream milk and sugar. Place the cornstarch and 1/4 cup of the rum in a small bowl and whisk into a slurry.
- 8Pour the slurry into the cream sauce and bring to a boil. Once the sauce boils, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- 9Remove the sauce from heat. Stir in the salt, butter, and remaining 1/2 cup of rum. Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Orleans Style Bread Pudding With Rum Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 531.1
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.1 g
- Saturated Fat 17.1 g
- Cholesterol 163.8 mg
- Sodium 267.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 38.8 g
- Protein 7.9 g