Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Serve hot with corn chips, warm flour tortillas or cornbread. Try a lean cut of pork, like center-cut loin, to reduce the fat.
- 3 vegetable oil
- 3 lbs boneless pork, cubed
- 2 medium white onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce, mild or 1 (10 ounce) canhot enchilada sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) canseasoned tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (4 ounce) can taco sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- Heat oil in a 6-quart crock pot, add pork, onion and garlic and cook until pork is browned. Drain excess grease.
- Add the water, chilies, enchilada sauce, tomatoes, taco sauce, bay leaf, salt, pepper and oregano, and cook over low to medium heat about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. After 2 hours, add more water if needed. Adjust seasonings if desired, and simmer 2 to 3 hours longer.
How can you make posole without hominy? this recipe could be 5 stars with a couple of additions. First a 29 ounce can of drained mexican hominy. Second a can of bean with bacon soup.
Loved this recipe but I didn't know how to brown the meat in the crockpot so did that on the stove and added to the crockpot along with other ingredients and some extra cayenne & white pepper. Mmmm.... served with baked corn tortilla wedges, some soup toppings like sour cream, olives, lime juice, and with margaritas (ok, lime slushies for the kids) so good!
I have this exact recipe except that it has 4 15.5 oz cans of hominy drained. I used 3 tbsp oil as per my recipe as amount is missing from this one. As well, I brown the meat with the onion and garlic in a large skillet before mixing it with the other ingredients except the hominy in my crockpot. I added the hominy the last two hours of cooking so that the texture didn't go funny and cooked it a total of 8 hours on low.